Madison365 exists to tell the stories of Wisconsin’s communities of color and cover the issues important to those communities. We use excellent professional journalism to start conversations, find real and lasting solutions, build community, invite action and encourage emerging leaders in Wisconsin’s communities of color, and to foster dialog between members of diverse communities. Our journalism has been recognized with national and statewide awards.
About the job
The Madison365 Northeast Wisconsin Correspondent will serve as the lead reporter for Madison365 covering Green Bay, the Fox Valley and surrounding communities. Reporting to the 365 Media Foundation Executive Editor, the Correspondent will:
- Produce and publish 5-10 news stories per week in accordance with 365 Media Foundation’s ethical standards and style guide. Many will be simple press release rewrites, while others will be event previews, event coverage, business and personal profiles, and enterprise reporting
- Take and edit photos to accompany stories (usually with a phone)
- Develop meaningful relationships with sources and community members, including leaders and members of communities of color as well as elected officials and other community leaders and community members
- Attend daily editorial calls and weekly staff meetings
- Appear regularly on 365 Media podcasts and video shows to discuss stories and issues
The Northeast Wisconsin Correspondent will be based in Green Bay or Appleton and will report to the Executive Editor, who is based in Madison. Therefore the successful candidate will have a track record as a self-starter who can succeed with little direct supervision. Related: We will have office / coworking space available for the Northeast Wisconsin correspondent, and flexible hybrid work will be available.
Additionally, the successful candidate will:
- Be tech-savvy enough to know or learn basic functions of WordPress, Google Drive and other productivity tools
- Be conversant with, or be able to learn, AP style and the SPJ code of ethics
- Be able to write compelling and informative copy on deadline
Salary will be $30,000 – $40,000 depending on experience. Health insurance is also available.
Interested candidates should email a resume and links to clips to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org