In observance of the National Hispanic Heritage Month, WLMV-La Movida 1480AM/94.5FM, Mid-West Family Broadcasting, and the Latino Chamber of Commerce will host the 8th Annual Hispanic Heritage Luncheon Celebration on Friday, Oct. 12, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center.
This year’s guest speaker will be Armando Ibarra, associate professor in the School for Workers at University of Wisconsin Extension. Attorney Mario Mendoza of Murphy Desmond S.C. will once again serve as Master of Ceremonies.
Leaders and representatives of local Latino and non-Latino institutions are expected to attend including special guests City of Madison Mayor Paul Soglin; Mayor Jason González of Fitchburg; Consul Julian Adem Diaz de Leon, Mexico Consulate of Milwaukee; Shiva Bidar, alder of the city of Madison Common Council; and Julia Arata-Fratta, alder of the city of Fitchburg Common Council who will give the Proclamation for the event. The event will also feature special remarks from Dane County Executive Joe Parisi.
The following leaders and entities will be recognized during the luncheon for their contributions in the Greater Madison Area by the Latino Chamber and La Movida.
•Community Institution of the Year: Safe Communities – Cheryl Wittke, Executive Director, Safe Communities Coalition
• Community Leader of the Year: Patricia Téllez-Girón M.D. – Associate Professor University of Wisconsin & Family Medicine Department and Latino Health Council Chair
• Hispanic Achievement of the Year: Leslie Orrantia – Director of Community Relations at UW-Madison
• The Amigo Award: Henry Sanders – CEO and Publisher of Madison365
• Hispanic Entrepreneurs of the Year: Marcio and Tia Sierra – Owners Lighthouse Christian School Madison
• Making a Difference Award: Hector Portillo – WSPEI Spanish Coordinator at CESA5
• Believe and Succeed Award: Jacqueline Suárez – Centro Hispano’s Immigration Services Coordinator
To RSVP for this event, click here.