A man who police believe carried out a string of package bombings that terrorized residents of Austin, Texas, died early this morning after detonating an explosive inside his vehicle as a SWAT team tried to approach him on the side of a highway, officials said.
Police did not name the bomber, but two law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation identified him to NBC News as 23-year-old Mark Anthony Conditt. Investigators believe Conditt made all of the bombs used in the four Austin attacks, which killed two people and injured four others.
“We believe that this individual is responsible for all incidents that have taken place in Austin, starting on March 2nd and those that have occurred since then as well,” Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said.
Two black men were killed in the first two bombings, and an elderly Hispanic woman was wounded in the third. The two people wounded Sunday night are white.