Attorney Steve Meyer said the university sent Cephus and his attorneys a 14-page document with all of the evidence that was provided during Cephus’ sexual assault trial as well as evidence the courts didn’t allow to be presented.
A jury found Cephus was not guilty Aug. 2 on felony charges of second-degree sexual assault of an intoxicated victim and third-degree sexual assault. He was accused of assaulting two 18-year-old women in 2018.
Cephus and his attorneys filed a petition for readmission to the university last week. Cephus was suspended by the football team and expelled by the school last August following the sexual assault allegations.
“The university is sending a clear message that they do not want him to be a student at the university this semester,” Meyer said Monday.
In a tweet Monday afternoon, UW-Madison said the information was “not accurate” and that the university plans to make a statement.
In the days following the not guilty verdict, current and former Wisconsin Badger football players began campaigning on social media for Wisconsin to let Cephus play football. The hashtag “LetQTPlay” surfaced Tuesday on Twitter.
A news conference is planned Monday at 4 p.m. at the Madison Municipal Building in front of a bust of Martin Luther King Jr., Meyer said. Cephus’ attorneys and Badgers football team players are expected to take part in the event.