The Sable Flames, Inc., the African-American firefighters of the City of Madison Fire Department, has announced that the application period for the 2023 Jones-Robinson Scholarship is now open. The deadline for applications is Monday, July 10.
The mission of the Jones-Robinson Scholarship Fund is to provide financial help for low-income students seeking higher education.
The Jones-Robinson Scholarship was created to honor the five children that perished in the Sommerset Circle fire of 1990 in Madison, Wisconsin. The children, who were African-American, came from a low-income single-parent household. Following this tragedy, The Sable Flames, Inc. created a scholarship fund in the children’s honor. The scholarship is designed for those of a similar socioeconomic background who are aspiring to improve their lives through higher education.
Each applicant should be:
1. Madison-area resident
2. Low-income (based on family size and annual income)
3. A single parent or the child of a single parent
4. High School Graduate or comparable GED
5. Overall GPA of 2.5
6. Accepted and enrolled into a degree program at an accredited College, University or Technical-College.
1. This scholarship application is due: Monday, July 10.
2. Each application is eligible for one scholarship per academic school year.
3. Awards will be granted directly to the bursar’s office of the educational institution.
4. Each scholarship will be $1,100.
5. Each scholarship application must be submitted electronically to: