Somos Latinas Book Launch will take place Saturday, May 19, 1-3 p.m. at the Wisconsin Historical Society Press, 816 State St,
Join the Wisconsin Historical Society’s Somos Latinas Digital History Project, the Wisconsin Book Festival, and the Society Press for a celebration of the publication of Somos Latinas: Voices of Wisconsin Latina Activists by Andrea-Teresa Arenas and Eloisa Gómez. Doors open at 12:30 p.m. followed by a 1 p.m. celebration conversation in the auditorium, light refreshments, photo opportunities with featured “Somos” women, and a book signing.
Celebrants will have an opportunity to:
• Learn about how the Somos Latinas Collection of oral histories, begun in 2012, will be shared with the public and schools,
• View the premiere of video-based interviews,
• Explore the first copies of the “Somos Latinas book” by Wisconsin Historical Society Press,
• Peruse Chican@ and Latin@ history with online displays by the Wisconsin Historical Society, the Women’s and Gender Studies Consortium, Chicanas Por Mi Raza, and more,
• Meet the Chican@ and Latin@ Studies students who interviewed 45 “Somos” women who made history,
• CELEBRATE the Chican@ and Latin@ women who did so much with so little.