The Sable Flames, Inc., the African-American firefighters of the City of Madison Fire Department, have announced that the application period for the 2019 Jones-Robinson Scholarship is now open and will run until May 1st, 2019.
The Jones-Robinson Scholarship was created to honor the five children that perished in the Sommerset Circle fire of 1990 in Madison, Wisconsin. The children, who were African-American, came from a low-income single parent household. Following this tragedy, The Sable Flames, Inc. created a scholarship fund in the children’s honor. The scholarship is designed for those of a similar socioeconomic background who are aspiring to improve their lives through higher education.
Each applicant should be:
1. Madison-area resident
2. Low-income (based on family size and annual income)
3. A single parent or the child of a single parent
4. High School Graduate or comparable GED
5. Overall GPA of 2.5
6. Accepted and enrolled into a degree program at an accredited College, University or Technical-College.
1. This scholarship application is due: Tuesday, May 1st, 2019.
2. Each application is eligible for one scholarship per academic school year.
3. Awards will be granted directly to the bursar’s office of the educational institution.
4. Each scholarship will be $1,500.
The winning recipients will be notified by June 1st, 2019.
For questions regarding the Jones-Robinson Scholarship or the Sable Flames, contact Trevor Wiggins, Secretary at email@example.com or visit the site www.sableflames.org.